Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I like routines

I really like routine. Actually, I get really comfortable in routines - some routines I like (glass of wine with dinner, watching Louie on Thursday nights, brushing my teeth in the car), others not so much.


Anyway, today I broke my routine. I don't have a ton to do at work at the moment - what we consultants call "being on the beach". I hear at the top firms folks actually go to the beach during these breaks. I just watch HBO GO at my desk.


So my routine is already messed up (not working hard). I decided to use some of my now very free time productively, so after lunch I went to the gym. Fine. Did 40 minutes of elliptical and some squats, if you must know. So now after work, which is when I usually (at least for the past 3 weeks) go to the gym, is now open. I decide to get a haircut.


My hair cut spot is Brighton's Hair Salon, which is in the neighborhood I lived in from 2008-2009. Again, routines. I get to the place, find parking quick, pause the podcast (Marc Maron) on my iPhone, and go inside. I have to wait 20 minutes for the guy ahead of me. Then Sofia, who runs Brighton's Hair Salon, sits me down and does a great job making me look presentable and professional. Great.


Next I run into the beer & wine grocery store and grab a Montepulciano and Cupcake Chardonnay. Also some "owater" because they don't have Vita Coca.


I head back to my car and as I turn the corner I can see through the window that the dashboard is lit up with electronics. What?

My car is sitting in the middle of Brighton, running in park. I get in and check to see my laptop is still in its case. Hallelujah, I'll survive another day!


I like routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment